“When we are happy in the Lord, everything changes.”
In this episode, my dear friend, author, speaker, podcast host, and USA Today bestselling author of over 80 books, Tricia Goyer, shares from her newest book, Heart Happy: Staying Centered in God’s Love During Chaotic Circumstances.
Tricia is a homeschooling mom of ten, including seven by adoption, a busy grandmother to many, and wife to her husband John. It was in a chaotic period of life that God revealed to Tricia the importance of keeping her heart happy in the Lord.
Adopting this unusual but powerful approach to life helped lift Tricia out of depression and overwhelm – and it can change everything for us as well! As we learn how to center our hearts in Jesus and look to Him for strength and peace, we can experience true joy – even in the midst of chaos, trials and tests.
Important Takeaways from Show
- God doesn’t always need us to do, He just wants us to be with Him
- Go to God for forgiveness, and allow Him to set you free from guilt and shame – that’s the start of true happiness
- Slow down and meditate on the Lord, His goodness, and fix your eyes on eternity
- When our heart is settled in the Lord, the hard things are less upsetting
- We need the Lord to order our thoughts for the enemy likes to hijack conviction from the Lord and turn it into condemnation
- God created us out of His love; trust that His love is enough for us.
- When we face hard circumstances, we need to cleanse our minds with scripture and allow the Living Word to be our weapon.
- Emotions don’t tell us the truth. The truth is God loves us and we need to trust Him in the storm
- When upsetting things happen, we must trust God’s sensitivity and sovereignty
- Everything doesn’t have to be okay for me to be okay
- Be happy in the things that God asks us to do
- Happiness is not found in stillness, it’s not found in our emotions, it’s found in walking it out
- God will answer our prayers, it might not be how or when we want it, but He will answer in His time
Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts.
Point out anything in me that offends you, and lead me along the path of everlasting life. (Psalm 139:23-24)
Links from Show
[Disclosure: I make a small commission from affiliate links used in this post.]
Connect with Tricia Goyer
Connect with Joanna
Subscribe & Get a Bible Reading Journal!
You can get your free “2022 Thru the Word” Journal by signing up in the form below.
The Bible reading journal features:
- Instructions for using the journal – including tips for getting the most out of your Bible reading
- Daily assignment schedule keeping you on pace to read the entire Bible in one year
- Space to record your Bible reading highlights
- Bonus: “Pray Every Day” pages to help you focus on a different part of your life each day
I’d love to hear from you… What spoke most to you from Tricia’s interview?