Podcast: Play in new window | Download
“When pushed up against a dead-end wall, the only option is to trust God.”
In this special episode, best-selling author and disability advocate, Joni Eareckson Tada celebrates the 45th anniversary edition of her book- Joni: An Unforgettable journey. Joni shares beautiful and intimate details of her journey with God after breaking her neck in a diving accident and becoming completely paralyzed at age 17. Her determination to trust the faithfulness of God – even now, in the midst of chronic pain and a battle with cancer – has turned a tragedy into a powerful tool God continues to use in thousands – if not millions – of peoples’ lives.
If you’re struggling to find hope and meaning in your painful trial, don’t miss this episode. And be sure to share it with a friend!
Important Takeaways from Show
- We encounter the Lord from deep places – in the vulnerable and the unknown.
- When you’re pushed up against a dead-end wall, the only option is to trust God and cast your cares on Him.
- Melt yourself into the circumstance as if walking through a dead-end wall – enter your pain and find Jesus there.
- If you think God is asking too much, remember with His grace you can do it.
- Trials were intended to completely flatten our self-sufficiency. If we are still putting up a fight, there is a crust of pride that needs to be peeled away.
- God wants to be the first thing we think of when we wake up and the center of our universe.
- In the midst of the trials, talk to the pain and situation; give yourself a good talking to.
- “We are afflicted in every way, but not crushed; perplexed, but not driven to despair; persecuted, but not forsaken; struck down, but not destroyed.” 2 Corinthians 4:8-9
- Like Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego, as we walk into the flames, Jesus will meet us there.
- Make the suffering useful as you come in agreement with the Lord; doing the hard thing with patient endurance.
- “You intended to harm me, but God intended it for good to accomplish what is now being done, the saving of many lives.” Genesis 50:20
- Take the trial and use it as a platform of ministry to comfort others in their hurts.
- Don’t worry about the breadth of your ministry, worry about the depth of your life with Christ.
- Remember what it means that Christ died for you – sit with your justification and go deep.
- Fall in love with Jesus – He wants to build His Kingdom in us more than through us.
- As we think about God’s attributes, we are more aware of our sin – which makes us quicker to repent.
- Think magnificently about God and see Him in His majesty.
- Trust in the Lord at all times Psalm 62:8
“Why are you cast down, O my soul, and why are you in turmoil within me? Hope in God; for I shall again praise him, my salvation and my God.” Psalm 42:5
Links from Show
Book: Joni: An Unforgettable Story: Joni Eareckson Tada
Book: Finding God in Hidden Places: His Presence in the Pieces of Our Lives
Book: A Place of Healing: Wrestling with the Mysteries of Suffering, Pain, and God’s Sovereignty
Book: The Letters of Samuel Rutherford (Puritan Paperback)
[Disclosure: I make a small commission from affiliate links used in this post.]
Connect with Joni Eareckson Tada
Website | Facebook | Instagram
Connect with Joanna
Facebook | Pinterest | Instagram | Twitter
Subscribe & Get a Bible Reading Journal!
You can get your free “2022 Thru the Word” Journal by signing up in the form below.
The Bible reading journal features:
- Instructions for using the journal – including tips for getting the most out of your Bible reading
- Daily assignment schedule keeping you on pace to read the entire Bible in one year
- Space to record your Bible reading highlights
- Bonus: “Pray Every Day” pages to help you focus on a different part of your life each day
I’d love to hear from you… What spoke most to you from Joni’s interview?