“As we trust joy we find courage to celebrate.”
In this episode, licensed marriage and family therapist, writer, and speaker, Nicole Zasowski shares from her latest book, What If It’s Wonderful?: Release Your Fears, Choose Joy, and Find the Courage to Celebrate.
Through seasons of disappointment and despair, Nicole reminds us that staying connected to the hope of Christ is possible! Through her own season of transition, multiple miscarriages and crippling anxiety, the Lord brought her to a deep place of inimacy as she learned to look for joy even in the middle of pain.
Nicole shares insights into how our brain works and how embracing joy and celebration can increase our happiness and well-being. As we keep Jesus at the center of our affection, God turns our fear, self-protection, doubt and even our cynicism into a new hopeful approach to life – no longer expecting the worst but opening our hearts to possibility…after all, “what if it’s wonderful?”
Important Takeaways from Show
- Believing for the wonderful interrupts the catastrophic thinking there is within all of us
- The brain adapts to delight and joy more rapidly but fixates on negativity
- There is a difference between feelings being real and feelings being true – when we trust the truth, we don’t react to how we feel
- It takes courage to celebrate all seasons of life, we must choose celebration before we have a reason to
- We miss out on our God-given life when we spend our time preparing for the worst
- Disappointment comes when we desire more joy from a gift than it was meant to give
- Only one person belongs in the center of our affection- Jesus
- Knowing Him is enough to make us dream about what it could look like
- When all our hope is in the Lord, we are safe to dream God-sized dreams and pray God-sized prayers
- The practice of savoring helps us celebrate the ordinary
- The practice of thanksgiving: expressing the joy that we feel doubles the joy we experience
- Joy trusts God’s promises in the midst of celebration and suffering
- Cultivate a beautiful life with God right where you are, and in that will cultivate a life of celebration and joy
- God wants to give us the desires of our hearts if we delight ourselves with Him
“However, as it is written: “What no eye has seen, what no ear has heard, and what no human mind has conceived”- the things God has prepared for those who love him.” 1 Corinthians 2:9
Links from Show
[Disclosure: I make a small commission from affiliate links used in this post.]
Connect with Nicole Zasowski
Connect with Joanna
Subscribe & Get a Bible Reading Journal!
You can get your free “2022 Thru the Word” Journal by signing up in the form below.
The Bible reading journal features:
- Instructions for using the journal – including tips for getting the most out of your Bible reading
- Daily assignment schedule keeping you on pace to read the entire Bible in one year
- Space to record your Bible reading highlights
- Bonus: “Pray Every Day” pages to help you focus on a different part of your life each day
I’d love to hear from you… What spoke most to you from Nicole’s interview?