Podcast: Play in new window | Download
“Spiritual depth and personal transformation are more important than impacting others.”
In the age of YouTube stars and social media influencers, it’s easy to find our identity in our online presence. You may find things that temporarily fill your spiritual buckets, but are left once again dry, anxious, and weary. In today’s podcast, author Katelyn Beatty and Joanna talk about dangers to avoid surrounding celebrity, social media and public ministry.
Katelyn shares common pitfalls that arise for church leaders in today’s fame-obsessed culture. Join us as we dive into a deeper understanding of the troubles the church is facing today and how we can navigate the current age by holding on to God’s sovereignty.
Important Takeaways from the Show
- We can get so wrapped up in our visibility that we abandon our real life relationships that are more authentic.
- Sometimes accountability can be a name-only thing. Leaders must be willing to ask those around them to comment on their character.
- Don’t confuse numerical growth on social platforms with God’s blessing or the validity of the message.
- It’s easy for us to set up today’s Christian leaders on pedestals and over-prioritize public gifts over more private ones like hospitality. All spiritual gifts are needed in the body of Christ.
- When a leader falls, it’s an opportunity for us to examine our own hearts and uphold them in prayer.
- We must resist our negative impulses to become contentious and backbiting on online social platforms.
- We are living an a time of profound loss of trust in institutions.
- We can’t solve the deep divides in our culture without viewing our neighbors as made in the image of God.
- How we do things is as important as what things we do.
- God is sovereign over our current cultural climate.
Links from Show
Katelyn Beatty’s New Book: Celebrities for Jesus: How Personas, Platforms and Profits Are Hurting the Church
Joanna’s New Book: Embracing Trust: The Art of Letting Go and Holding On to a Forever-Faithful God
[Disclosure: I make a small commission from affiliate links used in this post.]