Is scripture memorization a struggle for you?
Memorizing scripture used to be really intimidating to me until I discovered a method that helped engrave the Word on my heart and mind.
After teaching it to others for many years, I believe it will help you too!
I love being able to recall one of God’s promises as it applies to a unique circumstance or share an encouraging verse with a friend in a moment that speaks directly to his or her need.
For God’s Word is alive and active, able to speak into any and every situation we face. Most of all, it has the power to change us from the inside out.
Here’s a short video from my Lazarus Awakening DVD Bible Study featuring the simple memorizaation method I use. (Learn more about the study here.)
Word Time: Scripture Memorization
When we memorize scripture, it becomes a tool in our arsenal to fight off discouragement, replace lies with truth, and wage war against the enemy.
Here’s a method that’s really helped me:
- Start by saying the reference and the first phrase together three times.
- Now add another phrase to the verse, and repeat it three times.
- If needed, repeat the second phrase alone three times.
- Add the next phrase, then repeat that portion three times.
- Now put it all together, adding the reference at the end. It will sound like this:
(John 10:10) “The thief does not come except to steal, and to kill, and to destroy. I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly” (John 10:10).
Here are some additional tips:
- Review the verse regularly using this pattern: REFERENCE – VERSE – REFERENCE
- Carry a copy of each verse on an index card or in your phone.
- Meditate on the verse. Really think about what it means. Allow it to become part of your life.
Do not let this Book of the Law depart from your mouth; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful. Joshua 1:8
For more Bible reading tips, be sure to check out:
I’d love to hear from you… how has hiding God’s Word in your heart impacted your life?